The Department of Research and Development, part of the Division of Mental Health Services at Akershus University Hospital, Norway, has an open position for a post-doctoral researcher at a project linked with the Kuopio Birth Cohort (KuBiCo) Study. Akershus University Hospital is conducting the study in collaboration with the University of Oslo, University of Helsinki, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio University Hospital and the Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare.
The post-doctoral researcher will work as a part of the mental wellbeing section of the KuBiCo Study. The KuBiCo Study, a project anchored in the concept of developmental origin of diseases, focuses on improving our understanding of the combined effects of multiple factors on health and disease.
The work of the post-doctoral researcher will focus on how the interactions of maternal psychological and physiological factors during pregnancy predict health outcomes in the developing children. The final database of this ongoing birth cohort study will include 10,000 mother-child pairs. Over 6,500 mother-child pairs have already been recruited.
The post-doctoral researcher will be employed at the Department of Research and Development, in the Division of Mental Health Services at Akershus University Hospital. The department currently employs eight full-time researchers, two post-doctoral researchers and six PhD students.
The position is a 3-year full-time position. Prof. Soili Marianne Lehto is the project leader.
How to apply
- The application must include the following attachments:
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interests)
- CV (summarising education, relevant work experience, grants and other qualifying activity)
- A complete list of publications
- Contact list of 2-3 references (name, position, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
After the initial screening process, short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
The application with attachments must be submitted through the electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all application documents must be in English and the file size cannot exceed 10 MB.
- The post-doctoral researcher will collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists and clinicians in a project that utilises different types of clinical and biomarker data as well as data derived from questionnaires and different types of health registers.
- The work will involve managing, analysing and reporting data from the Kuopio Birth Cohort and, whenever relevant, replication cohorts.
- The post-doctoral researcher will have an opportunity to participate in the supervision of doctoral students.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree (PhD) in statistics, bioinformatics, epidemiology, medicine, psychology, or other field relevant to the research conducted as part of the advertised position. The ideal candidate will have experience in several of these areas.
- A strong command of English is necessary for the position.
- We are looking for ambitious, goal-oriented candidates who have a strong publication record and enjoy working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- The candidates should have interest and/or demonstrated experience in mentoring PhD/Master’s students.
- The position is ideally suited for candidates who want to establish themselves as independent researchers or group leaders in the future.
- Individual mentoring to facilitate career development
- Negotiable salary
- Corporate benefits such as discounts for cottage rentals and theatre tickets, and a possibility to join the hospital’s sports teams.
- Oslo region’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
- If desired, assistance with finding an apartment and/or kindergarten.