NorCross has established a Global Surge Team with focus on leadership, management and technical competencies for emergency response in complex environments, targeting Health Emergencies and Health in Emergencies.
We are now looking for an experienced Senior medical Oficcer to join our Global Surge Team. The Senior medical doctor should be flexible and have the ability and willingness to travel extensively and be deployed to a physical demanding working environment in different contexts and work with various stakeholders. The Global Surge Team profiles must be able to deploy at short notice for periods of up to 3 months and to spend up to 70% of their time abroad.
While not deployed, the senior medical doctor, as part of the Global Surge Team, will be home based. Vacation, rest and recovery days and professional development will be accounted for as a part of the remaining period of non-deployment time.
The Senior medical doctor in the Global Surge Team will play an important role and contribute to strengthen the RCRC's emergency response with the aim of enhancing quality of operations, timeliness and accountability in the delivery of effective humanitarian assistance in sudden onset disasters, conflict and protracted crises.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements of EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship will not be considered for this position.
- Contributes to the assessment, design, implementation and monitoring of operational strategies that include appropriate clinical health interventions based on health needs assessment.
- Leads the setup of the operational health strategy and structure in the affected areas
We seek a person who:
- Continuously assesses evolving clinical health risks and needs and plans actions accordingly
- Liaise with relevant local governmental authorities and international and non-governmental operating agencies as assigned by the Movement Coordination team
- Represent the emergency response as assigned, including media, back-donors and other organizations as required within his/her area of expertise
- translates strategic direction into individual and team objectives
- provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keep them focused on objectives
- quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize these to achieve operational objectives
- develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development
- co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- is committed to RCRC movement principles and values.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent qualification within a relevant field eg general practitioner, internal medicine, anaestesiology, Emergency Room specialist, pediatrician
- Minimum 3 years of clinical experience after specialization
- Excellent understanding of humanitarian disaster response systems
- Excellent understanding of the WHO EMT classification and minimum standards
- Previous experience(s) within the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement.
- Experience from different complex emergencies and contexts
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Infection Prevention and Control is an advantage
- Advance knowledge of continuous quality improvement in health care is an advantage.
- Proven successful management experience
- Extensive field experience
- Experience of capacity building and coaching
- Excellent command (written and spoken) of English. A working knowledge of Norwegian, French, Arabic or Spanish is desirable
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
- High level of ICT skills
- The Norwegian Red Cross will not sponsor visas. All applicants must have the right to work in Norway. (i.e. a EU/ EEA/Swiss citizenship). We will check for evidence of your right to work at assessment stage.
Place of service:
- The employee must reside within 12 hours proximity to Oslo, Norway during the contract period
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must be in good health and will have to pass a medical clearance before signing the employment contract
Norwegian based or relocation to Norway is preferred. EU/EEA/Swiss citizens are also encouraged to apply
Permanent contract for Norwegian based